Col Michele A. Lo Bianco is the Commander, 15th Wing, Joint Base Pearl Harbor-Hickam, Hawaii. The 15th Wing provides trained and ready Airmen to the Commander, U.S. Indo-Pacific Command and the Commander, Pacific Air Forces to execute strategic airlift, air dominance, and executive airlift missions via C-17A, C-37A, and F-22A aircraft. As the commander, Col Lo Bianco serves as the Senior Airfield Authority on Hickam Field and is responsible for the airfield’s safe and effective operation. Hickam Field serves as a strategic launching pad for the projection of American Airpower throughout the Indo-Pacific Area of Responsibility. The wing’s Total Force Integration relationship with the Hawaii Air National Guard is critical to the day-to-day operations and maintenance success of the C-17 and F-22 mission sets. The 15th Wing also serves as the Air Force lead that partners with the Commander, Joint Base Pearl Harbor-Hickam to provide mission support to all other Air Force entities on base.
Col Lo Bianco was commissioned in 2000 as a Distinguished Graduate of the Air Force Reserve Officer Training Corps program at the University of Miami, Fla., where she was designated an Air Force Institute of Technology (AFIT) “Top Graduate”. After serving in a variety of positions as a Weather Officer at Barksdale Air Force Base (AFB), La., she was competitively selected to attend Specialized Joint Undergraduate Pilot Training at Laughlin Air Force Base (AFB), Texas. After earning her wings, she held positions at the squadron, group and wing levels at Charleston AFB, S.C. and eventually became an Instructor Pilot in the C-17A. In 2009, she became a C-17A Formal Training Unit Instructor Pilot in the 58th Airlift Squadron, Altus AFB, Okla. Colonel Lo Bianco then entered a degree-granting graduate program in Public Administration at the John F. Kennedy School of Government at Harvard University, Mass., before becoming the Politico-Military Planner for South East Asia on the Joint Staff at the Pentagon. Col Lo Bianco has previously commanded the 305th Operations Support Squadron, the 305th Operations Group, Joint Base McGuire-Dix-Lakehurst (JBMDL), N.J.
Col Lo Bianco has more than 2,700 flying hours as an instructor and evaluator in the C-17A and more than 900 combat and combat support hours. She is a veteran of Operations ENDURING FREEDOM and IRAQI FREEDOM, with multiple deployments in Southwest Asia.
2000 Bachelor of Science Degree in Physics and Mathematics, University of Miami, Fla.
2001 Basic Meteorology Graduate Program, The Ohio State University, Columbus, Ohio
2002 Aerospace Basic Course, Maxwell Air Force Base, Ala.
2006 Squadron Officer School (Distinguished Graduate), Maxwell Air Force Base, Ala.
2004 Masters of Arts, Strategic Intelligence, American Military University
2009 Air Command & Staff College, Maxwell Air Force Base, Ala., by correspondence
2013 Masters in Public Administration, Harvard University, Cambridge, Mass.
2015 Joint Professional Military Education II, Norfolk, Va.
2019 Masters in Strategic Studies, Air War College, Maxwell Air Force Base, Ala.
1. August 2000 – June 2001, Student, Air Force Institute of Technology, The Ohio State University, Columbus, Ohio
2. June 2001 – August 2003, Officer in Charge, A-Team / Executive Officer, 26th Operational Weather Squadron, Barksdale AFB, La.
3. August 2003 – April 2005, Student, Joint Specialized Undergraduate Pilot Training, Laughlin AFB, Texas
4. May 2005 – January 2007, Director of Staff, C-17A Pilot, 14th Airlift Squadron, Charleston AFB, S.C.
5. February 2007 – May 2007, Flight Commander, Life Support, 437th Operations Support Squadron, Charleston AFB, S.C.
6. May 2007 – September 2008, Wing Executive Officer and C-17A Aircraft Commander, 437th Airlift Wing, Charleston AFB, S.C.
7. October 2008 – September 2009, Deputy Chief, Command Post, 437th Airlift Wing, Charleston AFB, S.C.
8. October 2009 – June 2012, Assistant Director of Operations, C-17A FTU Evaluator Pilot, 58th Airlift Squadron/97th Operations Support Squadron, Altus Air Force Base, Okla.
9. June 2012 – June 2013, Student, John F Kennedy School of Government, Harvard University, Cambridge, Mass.
10. July 2013 – October 2015, Politico-Military Planner for South East Asia, Joint Staff, The Pentagon, Washington D.C.
11. October 2016 – June 2018, Operations Officer / Commander, 305th Operations Support Squadron, JBMDL, N.J.
12. July 2018 – June 2019, Student, Air War College, Maxwell Air Force Base, Ala.
13. July 2019 – April 2020, Div Chief, Programs Division, Scott Air Force Base, Ill.
14. May 2020 – June 2022, Commander, 305th Operations Group, Joint Base McGuire-Dix-Lakehurst, N.J.
15. July 2022 – Present, Commander, 15th Wing, Joint Base Pearl Harbor-Hickam, Hawaii
SUMMARY OF JOINT ASSIGNMENTS
1. July 2013 – October 2015, Politico-Military Planner for South East Asia, Joint Staff, the Pentagon, Washington D.C., as a Lieutenant Colonel
Rating: Command Pilot Flight hours: More than 2700, including more than 900 combat hours Aircraft flown: T-37, T-1, C-17, KC-10
MAJOR AWARDS AND DECORATIONS
Defense Meritorious Service Medal
Meritorious Service Medal with two oak leaf clusters Air Medal with five oak leaf clusters
Aerial Achievement Medal
Air Force Commendation Medal with oak leaf cluster Air Force Combat Action Medal
Afghanistan Campaign Medal with campaign star
Iraq Campaign Medal with campaign star
EFFECTIVE DATES OF PROMOTION
Second Lieutenant June 8, 2000
First Lieutenant June 8, 2002
Captain June 8, 2004
Major April 1, 2010
Lieutenant Colonel Dec. 1, 2013
Colonel Feb. 1, 2020
(Current as of July 2022)