Feature Search

Tax filing services provided by legal office

JOINT BASE PEARL HARBOR HICKAM, Hi. -- Tax season is just around the bend and in light of the nation's economic recession, any extra money that comes one's way is a welcome sight. That's why the base legal office is ready and willing to help file taxes and file them correctly.

According to Capt. Amy Austin, 15 Airlift Wing Chief of Legal Assistance and Preventive Law, failing to file taxes or failing to file them correctly can be costly in more ways than one.

"Failing to adequately report your income to the IRS could result in severe monetary and criminal penalties," she said.

Capt. Austin also explained the knowledge of uncommon tax credits is an added benefit to having assistance from experienced tax experts.

"This year there is a "Making Work Pay" credit. If [people] have earned income from work, they may be able to take this credit which cannot be more than $400 for single filers and $800 for married couples filing jointly," she said. "There is also a deduction for motor vehicle taxes. If they bought a new motor vehicle after Feb. 16, 2009 they may be able to deduct any state, local sales or excise taxes on the purchase. " 

The legal office can service all branches of military members as well as their dependents.

The majority of Airmen need to file a simple 1040EZ return. Tax-filing assistance is provided on a walk-in basis from 8 to 11:30 a.m. and 12:30 to 4:30 p.m. Filers should bring any forms that will be used to prepare the tax return (W-2, 1099-INT, student loan interest/school loan repayment statement, child care expense receipts, etc.), Department of Defense issued military I.D., social security card, and a copy of their previous year's tax return.

Airmen looking to file a more difficult return (mortgages, dividends, etc.) should call and set up an appointment. All appointments or walk-in customers must file by April 15, however the deadline can be extended for deployment reasons.

Featured Links


Follow us on