15th Wing   Right Corner Banner
Join the Air Force

Library > History of Hickam
A brief history of Hickam A brief history of Hickam

In 1934, the Army Air Corps saw the need for another airfield in Hawaii and assigned the Quartermaster Corps the job of constructing a modern airdrome from tangled brush and sugar cane fields adjacent to Pearl Harbor on the island of Oahu. The site consisted of 2,200 acres of ancient coral reef, covered by a thin layer of soil, located between Oahu's Waianae and Koolau mountain ranges, with the Pearl Harbor channel and naval reservation marking its western and northern boundaries, John Rodgers Airport to the east, and Fort Kamehameha on the south. The new airfield was dedicated May 31, 1935 and named in honor of Lt. Col. Horace Meek Hickam, a distinguished aviation pioneer killed Nov. 5, 1934, at Fort Crockett in Galveston, Texas.

Hickam now consists of 2,850 acres of land and facilities valued at more than $405 million. Sharing its runways with adjacent Honolulu International Airport (HIA), Hickam and the HIA constitute a single airport complex operated under a joint-use agreement.

Click below titles to read more about Hickam .
tabHistory of Hickam 

 Inside the 15th Wing

ima cornerSearch


Site Map      Contact Us     Questions     USA.gov     Security and Privacy notice     E-publishing  
Suicide Prevention    SAPR   IG   EEO   Accessibility/Section 508   No FEAR Act